February 3, 2009

Green Thumb

At the end of January, I woke up from a nap before I had to work and had a message on my phone from Cindy, Greg's boss. She said, "Hi Kristin, this is Cindy. I just wanted to give you an update about Greg's condition."

My heart dropped! How could she be giving me an update when I didn't even know what was going on in the first place! Every horrible thing that could have happened started running through my head...

I kept listening and she informed me that they were at WorkMed because Greg had drilled through his thumb, but not all the way through. She said he was doing okay just in quite a bit of pain and to call her when I woke up.

I called Cindy and she said they were just finishing up with the doctor. She handed her phone to Greg and he sounded okay! I guess I was expecting him to sound dopey from the pain meds they gave him, but they had only given him two shots in his thumb to numb it.

I found out that the drill had slipped and hit his right thumb at the cuticle. Greg said he wasn't going to do anything about it, but noticed his fingernail had popped up and it wouldn't stop bleeding. At WorkMed the doctor numbed his thumb and then took off the whole thumbnail, since the drill had pushed down into the nailbed matrix. He got a few stitches there, and then the doctor put his fingernail back on so that the new fingernail would grow back, and put a stitch at the end of his thumb on either side of the nail.

He had to keep his whole thumb wrapped for a week. After getting the stitches on the end of his thumb out a week later, he still has to wrap just the end of his thumb.
It's so different now being married and the feelings of love and concern we have for each other. Before I even knew what was wrong with Greg in the first place, my adrenalin kicked in and I was sick with worry. I think that is such a cool thing about marriage. I love Greg so much and continue to love him more every day. I couldn't imagine my life without him and am grateful for him in my life.
Oh...and Greg later told me when he got home that he told Cindy to make it sound worse than it was. Thanks hun...love ya!

No comments: